Altar servers assist the presiding priest at Mass and other parish liturgies such as Stations of the Cross and Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament. Those desiring to serve in this ministry in our parish should have celebrated their first holy Communion and be in the fourth grade or older.
Servers should be mature enough to understand their responsibilities and carry them out well, and with appropriate reverence. These responsibilities include:
· Carrying the cross and processional candles
· Holding the book for the priest when he is not at the altar
· Carrying the incense and censer
· Presenting the bread, wine and water to the priest during the preparation of the gifts
· Assisting him when he receives the gifts from the people
· Washing the hands of the priest
· Assisting the priest and deacon as necessary
They may also prepare the altar (General Instruction of the Roman Missal 100 and 190). Altar servers will receive proper formation before they begin to function.