The journey to your child’s baptism
Congratulations! Our parish family extends to you our prayer of thanksgiving to God for the gift of your child. We believe that every child born into this world is a gift from God and is given the opportunity to receive God’s gift of new life through the sacrament of baptism.
Our parish looks forward to joining you on this journey of preparing to bring your child into our Catholic community of faith. May this time of preparation for baptism be a time of joy as you anticipate the beginning of your child’s life of faith.
Our parish welcomes you as you present your child to the waters of baptism with the intention of bringing them up in the practice of our Catholic faith. In this day and age, children are born into various family situations, and our church desires to minister to you whatever your particular situation (i.e. married in the Catholic Church, single parent, unmarried couple, or married outside of the Catholic Church).
This is a wonderful time to consider your own commitment to your Catholic faith. In some circumstances, you may wish to pursue the sacrament of marriage.
If that is the case, feel free to contact our parish office to set up an appointment with our pastor to discuss your particular situation, the possibility of getting married in the Catholic Church, or the possibility of having your marriage validated in the church.
Our parish looks forward to working with you as you prepare for your child’s baptism. It is never too early to contact our parish office to start the necessary paperwork. Keep in mind that there are several important steps you must take before the baptism:
1. Call our parish office as soon as possible to begin the necessary paperwork for your child’s baptism and to determine whether or not you need to register and attend a baptismal preparation session.
2. Attend the baptismal preparation session (if required).
3. Review our parish guidelines about selecting godparents/sponsors and their eligibility requirements.
4. Determine whether or not the person(s) you want to be your child’s sponsor(s) meet the eligibility guidelines. Do not hesitate to contact our parish office to assist you if you have any questions or concerns about the eligibility of sponsors.
5. Have the sponsor(s) obtain a sponsor certificate from their parish.